When people think of the state of Nevada, most immediately go to Las Vegas and the flashy entertainment side of the state. Known for the casinos, live shows, and luxury resorts Las Vegas is where most people visit when coming to Nevada. But it’s important to know, there is so much more to this amazing state. So today we’re sharing some cool facts to know about the Silver State that you might not know. And maybe it will help persuade you to call this amazing state home.
1) The total population of Nevada is 3.2 million people.
2) This makes the state the 33rd most populous state in the United States.
3) Nearly three-quarters of the people live in Clark County, making Las Vegas the largest city in the state, with 651 thousand.
4) The smallest town, Gerlach, sits in Washoe County with a population of 107.
5) Nevada’s state flower is the Sagebrush.
6) The state tree is the Bristlecone Pine.
7) The state motto is All for Our Country.
8) The Nevada state animal is the Desert Bighorn Sheep.
9) The state bird for Nevada is the Mountain Bluebird.
10) Nevada’s state fish is the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout.
11) The state reptile of Nevada is the Desert Tortoise.
12)The name Nevada comes from the Sierra Nevada mountain range. It means “snow-covered” in Spanish.
13) There are three nicknames for Nevada.
14) The official nickname “Silver State” comes from the important role silver mining has had in Nevada’s history.
15) The “Battle Born State” name comes from gaining statehood during the Civil War.
16) And the “Sagebrush State” comes from the native plant of the same name.
The Hoover Dam
17) The dam is the biggest public works project in the history of the United States that created the largest reservoir in America.
18) It contains more than 3.25 million cubic yards of concrete.
19) It’s 726 feet tall and 1,244 feet long.
20) At the base of the dam, it’s 660 feet thick. The top is 45 feet thick, which is about as wide as a 4-lane highway.
21) On October 31, 1864, Nevada became the 36th state to join the Union.
22) It was the second of two states to be added during the Civil War and was added despite not having a large enough population to be considered for statehood.
23) The Silver State is also one of only two states to significantly expand borders once becoming a state.
24) Gambling was first legalized in Nevada in March of 1931.
25) Las Vegas has over 150 thousand hotel rooms which is more than any other city in the world.
26) Nevada is one of seven states that don’t have a lottery.
27) Because of the gaming, Nevada doesn’t have a state income tax.
28) The state capital of Nevada is Carson City.
29) The population of Carson City is 57,344 which is the 37th most populous capital in the United States
30) Carson City is an independent city, meaning it isn’t a part of any county.
31) The major industries in the state are tourism, entertainment, manufacturing, agriculture, and mining.
32) Nevada is the largest gold producer in the United States and is one of the top gold producers in the world.
33) The largest employer is Clark County School District.
34) The area of Nevada is 110,567 sq miles making it the seventh-largest state in the United States.
35) With the lowest point being the Colorado River at 479 ft.
36) And the highest point is Boundary Peak at 13,140 ft.
37) 81% of the land in Nevada is owned by the federal government.
38) There are 14 wilderness areas spread throughout the state of Nevada.
39) Lake Tahoe is the largest alpine lake in North America.
40) It is 1,645 feet deep, 22 miles long, and 12 miles wide.
41) Coming in as the second deepest lake in the United States and the sixteenth deepest lake in the world.
42) Because of the depth, the lake never completely freezes over. Though it is always a bit cold.
43) The water in the lake is super pure which causes the lake to be a beautiful blue.
Even though we’ve only added a small list of the cool facts about this amazing state, there are so many more that we could add. So many it’s just not possible to name them all. Let us know in the comments what your favorite facts about Nevada are.
If you’re looking for a new place to live, or are interested in moving to the amazing city of Las Vegas, find your next dream apartment here. And while you’re on your search for the best place to live, head on over to our post about some surprising facts about renting in the city.